Wednesday, May 07, 2008

A smattering of thoughts about the flash movie

(Better title than "I don't have anything to write about and I'm blogging for time/date stamp sake.")

So, first things first...a part of why I haven't blogged in a few days is that I'm still a little stunned about my movie—disappointed I guess. My film wasn't unsuccessful, but it also got a chillier reception than I had anticipated. Wondering if I bit off more than I could chew.

I wanted to do something different, unique, but also something that speaks to my interests. Typography is my thing. So I figured: I had this great story with which I wanted to do more. I broke it out and did a lot of rework, mostly in that I wrote it as a story to read, not to watch. A point I make in the story (which I cover in the very last five seconds - or less - of the movie) is that text and other generic representations don't do justice in trying to understand the experience of HIV. I thought I'd really illustrate that point with a silent text movie.

But it is a movie?

I still don't know. Stephanie asked me in class why I had to have a text-heavy movie and my answer was "blah, blah, blah." Truthfully, I was a little annoyed to have to explain something to her that I had done previously that week. But truthfully, I don't need a text-heavy movie, but because I feel it supports my idea, it's a concept a hard to relinquish. I'd rather try to make it work than start from scratch. I was glad that, at least, my typography got good reviews from Allison. At least I didn't fail in that area.

I'm hoping the final draft will be more satisfying: in the sense of meeting the assignment and also satisfying an audience.

--
I see you bubbling all over the place -- you're yeasty, and I think it's grand!

1 comment:

CK said...

I think what you did was unique and I liked it. It just needs refining (just like everyone else's). I liked all of the text and I think that is is well on its way to working and that it will work once you refine it.