Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Revisions - that's about it

It's already Wednesday and my first blog since last week. Don't know about anyone else, but I'm knee-deep (if not deeper) in revisions — not only for this class, but for Typography as well. A frenetic and insightful week.

This semester...no, this class...if nothing else in life, really turned me out, tuned me in, challenged me beyond what I expected, almost to a tragic breaking point. New city, first semester in grad school, working in a new medium, telling new stories, even working in familiar mediums, but in new, imaginative ways: I swear I'm a new woman.

My sister, who has two Master's degree and months away from her Ph.D., who knows my perils so, so well, sent me an article (sort of Grad School Do's and Don'ts or Grad School Fears 101) that helped soothe me a bit.

--
I see you bubbling all over the place -- you're yeasty, and I think it's grand!


2 comments:

Pisces said...

This is a very good article about graduate school, and I can really relate to the struggles. I could have used this article about the first week of February. I'm sure the transition has been tremendous with all the changes including a new city and job. Life is so tossy turney but hang in there, we will all survive, and hopefully one day receive one master degree. Your sister is a beast!! Keep your eye on her successes and keep taking her advice, and you will shine just like her. Remember, its in the genes.

CK said...

I like this article. Thanks for posting. I would love to send it to a coworker of mine who is currently working on a bachelor's degree and likes to compare his workload to my workload, saying that he's so busy, blah, blah, blah. Um. Sorry, no. It's GRAD SCHOOL. It's more work. It's supposed to be more work. If it weren't more work, they would call it undergrad.

Same coworker also didn't understand when I was explaining course loads and how much work goes with the classes. His question- "Why would they make it so much work?" WHAT?! Clearly someone doesn't have a grasp of what grad school really is about. And he contradicted himself, too.

Sorry, this is something that really bugs me. I feel like he's constantly trying to diminish the work that I'm doing in grad school by comparing it to his workload. Seriously.

Anyway, *end rant*

I might steal this article to post it on my blog.